City of Marceline

Marceline Public Library

In 1914 a reading room was established in the rear of the Marceline First National Bank Building, later 300 books were donated by women's Civic League. Members took their turn acting as Librarian. Marceline Womens Civic League President Mrs. Sigmund Steiner suggested that the club try to secure a Carnegie Library. In March 1917, a letter was written to the Carnegie Institution. In May 1917 a wire was received from the Andrew Carnegie Library Foundation that they had been given $12,500 for a library building. The City promised to maintain the library by levying a tax for that purpose.

December 3, 1917, a Library Board was appointed. It was the task of this board to select a site for the building and receive bids from architects and obtain the Carnegie Foundations' approval for the plans. In 1918, a building site was purchased from Jackson-Walker Coal and Mining Co. on East California Avenue. In February, 1919, Edgar P. Madorie of Kansas City, Missouri was chosen architect for library.

November 1, 1920, the Marceline Carnegie Library opened as a result of the Andrew Carnegie Foundation building grant, efforts of the Marceline Civic League, Marceline City Council, and the support of the citizens of Marceline. The Library has been in continuous operation 89 years. We are a small public facility, with the library building owned and maintained by the city, with library contents and services supported by funds from property tax, State Aid, grants, Friends of the Library, and donations. The Library is guided by a nine member board, each serving a three year term. The board meets monthly.

In 2000 – 2001, the library received a grant to purchase new computers and a printer from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. At the same time patron internet service added and updated through MOREnet. In January 2001 new ceiling, lighting, fans, and wiring were installed on the main floor. During the year of 2007 the automation of the collection, the office renovation, and website were completed.

119 E. California Ave.
(660) 376-3223